Privacy Act Information
The Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. § 552a (PDF), establishes a code of fair information practices that governs how the Federal Government may collect, maintain, use, and disclose information about individuals. The Act applies to information about individuals maintained in a “system of records.” A system of records is a group of records under the control of an agency from which information is retrieved by the name of the individual or by some other unique identifier, such as a social security number or a certificate of divestiture number.
The Privacy Act requires the U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) to:
In order to effectively meet these responsibilities, OGE issued regulations implementing the Privacy Act (PDF). These regulations govern access, maintenance, disclosure, and amendment of records contained in OGE's Privacy Act systems of records and establish rules of conduct for OGE employees and contractors who access the records in the performance of their duties.
- Inform individuals from whom it collects information why the information is needed, how it will be used, and the reasons it may be disclosed
- Ensure that information about individuals is used only for the stated reasons, unless it receives the individual’s consent to disclose the information
- Ensure that information about individuals is accurate, relevant, and up-to-date
- Allow individuals to see records about them and provide them with the opportunity to correct inaccuracies
- Establish and maintain appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the security and confidentiality of personal information
Read about OGE's Website Privacy and Security Policies here.
Read about OGE's Social Media Privacy Statement here.
Read about OGE's Privacy Impact Assessments here.
BREACH OF PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION NOTIFICATION POLICY AND RESPONSE PLAN (2019)
Submit a Privacy Act Question or Complaint
For individuals who wish to submit a privacy-related question or complaint.
OGE Internal System of Records Notices
Governmentwide System of Records Notices
The Privacy Act requires that agencies publish a system of records notice (SORN) for each system of records maintained.
Requests for Personal Records
Any individual may request access to a government record about himself or herself, or may question whether a government agency is maintaining a record about himself or herself. This section will provide information on how to make a request.